Monday, June 23, 2014

A great run

Sometimes you have a just flat out awesome run. It wasn't super fast so I'm not qualifying for the Western States 100 any time soon but right now it's all about PRs for me. Yesterday was one of those runs on one of my favorite trails.

Hazard Peak Trail (or Ridge Trail for you locals that remember) is located in Montana de Oro State Park which, as luck would have it, is about 3 miles from my house. It's a winding single track that goes to the top of, well, Hazard Peak. It's smooth, sandy, rocky, technical, and a ton of fun. About 3 miles up with just under 1000' of climbing.

I was reading Ingrid Hansel's blog post about being a "downhill demon", something I really struggle with, and to my surprise the techniques that she outlined really do work. After 3 miles of mid-foot striking on technical downhill singletrack I'm sore in new places now but the technique is way better than the heel striking I was doing, my knees and hips aren't completely trashed....

The data from Strava shows that I averaged a 13:07 per mile pace. Again not earth-shattering but I'm 46 and I weigh about 225 pounds so I'm thinking that's pretty good. The part that made me really happy with this particular run is that I had a quick walk break at the summit and that was it. I ran the whole thing up and down.

Down at the parking lot I quickly checked my watch and couldn't believe I ran that far with just a little break at the summit.

Good times!!



No comments:

Post a Comment